Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gratitude #7.....FHE

WARNING! WARNING! Spiritual post....Spiritual post.......Read with caution
Photobucket
I am Thankful for Family Home Evenings. Now, we have just started our FHE. We have always tried to do family things on Mondays....but never actually had a lesson or anything. I have always been a closet Mormon. (LOL...if that is really a phrase) Nobody in my family is active anymore and some are atheist. Now I am not judging them or anything.....that works for them and is what they truly believe in. So, anytime I have ever been active or tried to state what I believe in I feel like I am looked at differently in my family. Or they just do not understand what I am trying to say and take it as I am judging them. But, I have to say since I was opened up to blogging. I see people voice their beliefs and state what they strongly believe in and I have always wanted that. And to never be looked upon differently. As I got older, I would actually feel ashamed to be Mormon. Where I work people on the phone would hear we are in Utah and the first thing they would ask is "So, does that mean you are Mormon?" I would actually say no. And I feel bad for that to this day. I was embarrassed. So, because I was always worried about it....I did not push FHE at my house. We have actually never had it with my children. I am not proud of it. I thought my kids and husband would look at me that same way. Well, last week I felt strongly, to throw in a lesson to see how the family would handle it. I was nervous. Thought the kids would be upset that we were not going to Chuck E Cheese again or we were not going to play Rock Band.....instead they were going to listen to what I had to say. I decided to keep the lesson simple. As I started, this wonderful overwhelming feeling came into that house. They all sat there and listened. Every time I started to read from the scriptures, they would actually fight over who wanted to read the next verse. Every time I asked them a question their hands would race straight up into the air. They wanted to answer everything. Mason kept saying "Ask me another question Mom!" I was totally shocked and extremely happy. I would look into Denny's eyes and could tell he felt the same thing. He looked at me with great happiness and surprise. Then together we sang a song that went with the lesson. We actually sang a song! (I mean we are always singing to songs on radio and CD's while in the car, but nothing from church) We sang that song soooo loud and we sang it over and over. I played the piano as they sang (which I have not done in a long time) and then we found our Primary CD and sang along to it......to my surprise Colby signed up to teach the lesson for the following week (yesterday). I can not even tell you how wonderful that lesson was. Me and Denny were so impressed he studied his lesson on Sunday and prepared. It was so cute....and made me cry. I forget how much my kids know and they surprise me when it comes to church. The lesson was on Families. He held up a picture of his family and explained why each person was important:
Dad: For his strength and wisdom
Mom: For the love she has for everyone
Mason: Because he is good at video games and he is my brother and friend
Amy: Because I love her and she lives with us
Ryanne: We all love Ryanne, she is my baby sister!
Me (Colby): Because I am awesome! (He said that with power)
That made us all laugh. He then held up 5 fingers and said pretend this is my family. Take two fingers away and try to pick up the scriptures......See how hard it is to do something without the other family members? It is easier to do things as a family. I am thankful for Colby's lesson, for Family Home Evenings, and truly thankful for my family. My goal is to keep that going so that we can keep that spirit in our home for others to feel. I have come out of the closet.......and will make sure to teach the kids to feel proud of what they believe in, whatever that may be! My family ROCKS!

1 comments:

Ryan and Kate Webb said...

WOW! What an amazing thing you are doing counting your blessings. I have been really touched by your entries lately and I love the one about friends. Oh all the good times we had. Thanks for the apology and you are (were) forgiven. It wasn't necessary but I appreciated your words. Good job on FHE. It is awesome to hear you speak about the church with such spirit and conviction. Love you guys!