Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

Last week was my father's Birthday! He is now 51 years young!! We got together for our Sunday family dinner. We had his requested dinner of Hawaiian Haystacks (Thank you Sandy) and white cake with chocolate frosting (I made with the help of the kids) It was all so yummy and we had a wonderful evening. The kids all made him cards. They really enjoyed putting them together.

We gathered together and chatted. The kids were being silly.




Then during the week we met with my Dad and ALLOT of his family at Olive Garden for dinner. I am sorry, I did not get any photos. But, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed that dinner. Now, those that know me, you know that Me and my Dad have had our battles. He has made some big mistakes in life. There has been allot of hurt. We have been working on our relationship this last year. It is getting better, it really is. Forgiveness has always been my flaw. I am working on that every day. But as I sat at that table of about 25 people. I saw how much support my father has. There was so much LOVE around that table, supporting my dad. With all that they know about my dad and what he has done......they love him so much. They support everything he does. I am truly thankful for that because that has made him who he is today. I look at my father and I see a different man. The father I knew as a child has been gone for some time. But over the last couple weeks we have gathered as a family to support him and I see that father itching his way back. He has made such a difference in his life. I can not take any credit for that and that makes me sad. I was not there to help him. I banished him from my life and my kids. Then I see how his family reached out to him. That amazes me, makes me want to be a better person. They truly look at him with such love. My dad enjoys every minute he spends with them and talks about all of them often with such happiness. I am sorry that I was not there for my dad. At that time it was what was best for me. And now I think this is how it was suppose to happen. He has found help in the gospel and prayer. Never ever thought I would ever see my dad seek help there again. And that is the special gift that his family gave him. He has been praying to his Heavenly Father and fasting. He has witnessed how those 2 things can help him. That makes me so happy. I love my dad. I always have. I am proud of him. And I thank his family, I do not know where he would be today without them. Thank you.

I hope he had a wonderful birthday, and I hope to spend many more birthdays with him. Happy Birthday Dad! Love you.

2 comments:

Denise Christiansen said...

OH man! this was a inspiring moment sitting here reading your soul and listening to my fav! josh grobin's thankful!!! sooooo neat, I'm crying!
I love you hun! you are wonderful!

Wildemom said...

ok so i am finally back on kelles blog after what seemed to be forever...
AS THE STEP MOM LET ME JUST ADD A FEW THINGS ABOUT THIS SITUATION....
FIRST OF ALL HAVE YOU EVER LOVED SOMETHING SOOOO MUCH THAT EVERYTHING YOU DO IS WRONG?
I WATCHED A MAN GO FROM A LOVING FATHER, AND HUSBAND TO A PERSON WHO HAD NO DIRECTION. DRINKING, SMOKING AND GAMBLING RUINED A GREAT PERSON.. HE LOST EVERYTHING THRU THIS.. MOST OF ALL HIS PRIZED POSESSIONS... (HIS CHILDREN)
YES WITH THE HELP OF HIS FAMILY TREBOR AND NIKKI TWO OF HIS KIDS THAT NEVER GAVE UP ON HIM.(THANKS PAT, STEVE, JESS,DERRICK AND THERE KIDS. BRIAN,ALLY.NAT,MARTY, JAKE, AND MOST OF ALL TRISH. IT TOOK A SPECIAL LITTLE PERSON WITH SPECIAL NEEDS OF HER OWN TO SHOW HIM THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER GIVE UP.....
HE FOUND THE LORD. PRAYED. FASTED AND WHEN LIFE GOT TO HARD TO STAND HE KNELT.. BUT ALL THE TIME KEEPING IN HIS MIND THAT HIS MOST PRIZED POSSESSIONS WERE WAITING FOR HIM TO RETURN... THEY WAITED AND AFTER MANY MONTHS OF STRUGGLING PERSONALLY WITH ALL THE CHOICES HE HAS MADE AND THE LORDS HELP HE IS BACK.... STRONGER, HAPPIER..AND MOST OF ALL CLEANER...
HE NOW FINDS LOVE IN HIS FAMILY HIS CHILDREN AND MOST OF ALL HIMSELF AND THE LORD....
SO WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE NOTHING, LOOK AGIAN THE PEOPLE THAT LOVE YOU THE MOST ARE RIGHT BESIDE YOU.SOMETHING THAT ME MEKELLE HAVE DECIDE TO DO IS NOT MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS WE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR EACH OTHER,
AS A FRIEND, AND SHOULDER OR JUST A STEPMOM.. I AM PROUD TO CALL KELLE MY DAUGHTER, AND MORE PROUD TO SAY THAT IN HER OWN LITTLE QUITE WAY SHE DID HELP..... THANKS KELLE WE LOVE YOU TONS......